Sunday, February 8, 2009

A tribute to James Whitmore-Brooks from The Shawshank Redemption


I was sad to hear about the loss of actor James Whitmore who played Brooks Hadlin in my all time favorite movie, The Shawshank Redemption. Honestly, I only knew a little bit about this talented actor and I wanted to take time to find out more info. about him.

Whitmore was also well known for his role as Captain Benteen in "On Thursday We Leave for Home", from The Twilight Zone. Add to the list his nomination for an Academy Award in "Give 'em Hell, and another one for "Battleground". In the 50's, Whitman held acting workshops and one of his student's was James Dean who he helped get gigs in LA and encouraged him to go to New York to audition for the Actors Studio.

And just a tidbit...remember Mrs Roper from Three's Company? Her name is Audrey Lindley and Whitmore married her in 1972. They appeared quite frequently on stage together and continued their professional relationship long after their divorce in 1979. Before his passing, he also was a supporter of President Barack Obama and gave several speeches on his behalf.

It will take me forever to go through James Whitmore's long list of achievements but I'm glad I was able to dig a little deeper into this great actor's past. For all you fans, please feel free to share your thoughts and comments.

Peace,
Kayachi

8 comments:

  1. I still have a DVR HD copy of Shawshank saved..love to watch it from time to time.

    Found ya through Bloggeries

    Check out my gif blog and contest that is going on a few more days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i sure love this film. thanks for this tribute to greatness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a little late hearing the news that James Whitmore had died. The Shawshank Redemption is one of my fav movies too. Welcome to Blogger Talk. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawshank Redemption touches many people's heart. I wasn't aware about the news as well. James Whitmore will be remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband loves this movie as well. Sometimes I catch him replaying it over and over:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shawshank was a great movie, sad to read the news about James, fine part he played.

    I still wonder though...How did Andy DeFrane replace the picture on the wall after crawling through the hole in the wall to escape!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good question you posed! You had me thinking about this but I have the solution!! Andy crawled through the hole by un-peeling the bottom two corners of the picture....well really the poster leaving the top 2 corners glued to the wall so that it was still left hanging and in place. That's my logic and I'm sticking to it :)

    Thanks again for all of your comments and looking forward to many more.

    ReplyDelete